Your lawn conveys a message about you, and a well-maintained one makes you feel good about yourself. It will be an envy of the neighborhood. It is lawn goals in your area.
This article is an answer to your long time question about lawn care basics and how to deal with common lawn problems.
Lawn Care Basics
Taking care of your lawn the natural way is the best thing you can do to be eco-friendly. To avoid dependence on organic fertilizers ensure to have a healthy lawn. Implement some changes to improve the health of your lawn by doing it the natural way:
1. Enhance the soil fertility. Have some soil testing first. Send soil samples to a laboratory or have a pH tester. Normal pH should read between 6.5 to 7.0. Too acidic soil needs lime to make it alkaline. Next, is check if the soil is well aerated. Grasses grow best on loamy soil. If your soil is too compact, you can rent lawn care service to do the job. Add some organic matter like compost and grass clippings to improve the ground.
2. Choose a type of grass which is abundant in the locality. Grasses adapt to the kind of climate in the area. If a certain variety abounds in the area that means it quickly grows in your location.
3. Water your lawn, but don’t overdo it. Watering your lawn allows the grass to develop its roots well. Let your lawn dry a little before watering again. Schedule it early in the morning for optimum results. Normally, lawns require an inch of water only.
4. Mow your lawn often, however, don’t cut it too short. Cutting it too short exposes the roots and dries the soil quickly. Soil aeration is reduced then.
5. Watch out for too much thatch. Grass propagates thatch which accumulates on the top soil. Reduce the layer of thatch. Too much accumulation prevents nutrients and water from seeping through the soil. Aerate the soil frequently.
Most Common Lawn Problems and How to Deal with Them
Lack of Sunlight
If your lawn is shaded, then you are having problems. Grasses love the sunlight. An alternative way is to prune the branches of the trees shading the grasses. Otherwise, you can search for variety which tolerates shades like sweet woodruff.
This is a weed which makes the lawn lose its beauty. You can use an inorganic herbicide, but the best alternative is to apply corn meal. Don’t cut the grass too short for this will enhance crabgrass growth.
Thin Patchy Grass
Collect soil samples and send it to a laboratory otherwise have your own acidity tester kit. Typically this problem is caused by soil pH. Lime will be added to acidic soil and sulfur for too alkaline soil.
Weeds grow easily in vacant spaces. To correct this, dig the empty or bare space. Apply some compost or any organic matter to make the soil loamy. If it is ready, you can start planting new grass.
The Presence of Grub
Have your lawn evaluated by professionals. They’ll determine if your lawn can or can’t tolerate grab.
Why Should You Ask Help for Lawn Problems?
Lawn treatment should be given to professionals only. Primarily they have trained technicians who are experts in treating the soil conditions, pests and diseases. Next is you don’t have time to take care of your lawn. You are a busy person, and normally lawn care needs at least 5 hours a week. You’ll get better results from experts.